Friday, July 3, 2009

O(h my) klahoma #2

Today my Grandparents and I scoured the local downtown of Tahlequah, where the Cherokee Nation is located.

I, along with my Grandparents love antiques and old world items, and the last couple of times we were up in Oklahoma there were tons of antique shops, however, driving through downtown is like driving through a ghost town.

So many shops have had to close down due to lack of tourists, and the overall bleak economy. You could see bits of depression in Texas, but it's not near as bad as it is up north in Oklahoma.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics unemployment rates in Oklahoma during December were 4.6% and have risen to about 6.3% as of May. The numbers to someone who doesn't know economics well don't look too bad, but when you see all of the empty shop areas, and the line at the unemployment center you'll note that it's pretty bad.

The shops that are still around have limited items. A lot of the novelty items have either been overpriced, or just not made anymore. It's sad.

Whats a girl gotta do to find a pair of moccasins in Indian country? Hopefully, and I say this without any expectations, the economy will pick up soon, and more tourists will start visiting again.

But for now, I'll just wait, and try to help out the community by visiting local attractions, and eating at the local restaurants.

As for the moccasins, I'll make some myself if I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment