Sunday, July 26, 2009

How would you feel if I sneezed on you?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEKKA! One of my closest friends Bekka is a year older now! She's also known as MRoS, so if you see her on facebook, or her blog, remember to wish her Happy Birthday!

Today my grandparents were grilling me about friends, and boys, and when I was going to bring one home. I hate it when people do that.

There's a reason why not even my best friend knows about a guy in my life until two weeks after the fact, and it's because I feel uncomfortable talking about it.

Today I made the fatal mistake of mentioning that a while back I had been seeing a boy, but I stopped myself before I uttered the worst words you could ever utter to a grandma: Open Relationship.

Now my grandparents think I'm harboring a secret love. Not likely.

What Td (that's what we'll call him just in case he decides to google himself) and I had was nothing special by any means. We had met during a debate round (which I won) and we had so much in common in ways of interests and likes and dislikes. Really we hit it off pretty fast, and he wanted to go out. Being the pragmatic person that I am, I knew that if anyone caught wind of this I would be questioned to no end, especially since he was from a rival school in my debate district.

So I told him that I wanted something open. That way when we were together, we could act like a normal couple, and when we were apart we could do as we pleased. It was a nice concept, we had a lot of fun times together and had lots of.... deep conversations.... I'm not going to go into details.

However, we had to break it off, or at least I knew I had to because 1) I advanced in district, and sadly he didn't. AND 2) While at NFL(national forensics league) I met two really awesome guys and realized that being with Td in an open relationship just wasn't fair to the both of us. Maybe if we lived within 30 minutes of each other we could have made something work. Also, maybe if he wasn't already turning 18 and heading off to college the next year to major in Poly Sci we could have made something work.

But I'm not harboring any "secret loves" and I wish my grandparents, and all the other adults would stop hammering me about relationships. I still keep in touch with Td, and the two guys I met at NFL. Does this make me bad? I don't think so, because we're all sort of alike in the way that we know we're not right for each other, but if we ever need anyone, we're there to help out.

Not to mention, one of the guys I met at NFL is helping me get a seat in Student Senate, so it's not all bad :) We help each other out.

So I hope I tied up any loose ends, and I hope I explained it enough for the best friend who never hears that much about my personal life.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're trying Lizzi. I like the ideas of open relationships; Not because you're able to be with more than one person, but because of the lack of commitment that you have to abide by. Besides, aren't we kind of young to be looking for the person we're going to marry years from now?......I personally think so.

    Good topic. I may cover my feelings over some of this in the future, so be on the lookout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An open relationship seems like such a good idea, but I don't think I'd be able to handle that. I'm much more "commitment oriented" than I think is really acceptable for that type of lifestyle.
    And thanks for the birthday shoutout! I'm sure it was typed with tons of fuzzy/lovey dovey feelings in mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete