Thursday, November 27, 2008

When We See Lights

Ok, so I know it's just Thanksgiving, and not even remotely near Christmas, but seeing all the lights outside inspired me to write about my annual light-seeing experiences with my family.

Also, I didn't know if I'd be able to post today, so I decided to type something up just in case.

---------

Every year around Christmas time my family has this thing where we all pile up into the car and drive to the rich neighborhoods to see fancy lights. Now, we do this EVERY year. We also make a annual trip to Santa Land, which is basically a Big Christmas Drive Through light show.

Well, whenever we visit the rich neighborhoods usually almost all the houses have lights, and if they do have lights, most of the time they're very extravagant.

We pass by a house with lit up reindeers, and there is a collective sound of "Oooh! Ahhh! So pretty!" from my sisters, and the usual response from my dad which really isn't a response to the lights, but my dad just checking to make sure our eyes are glued to the windows. "Do you guys see that, are you looking Stephanie? No? Well, someone lift her up so she can see the lights!"

And we pass another six houses that have various Nativity scenes, or Santas, or Giant snow globes and penguins; Again, we get the collective "Oooh! Ahhh! So pretty!"

Then we drive up to a house that is completly dark, and my dad says his ever so predictable, "GDamn, looks like someone's a Jew this year." line.

As we drive away, my sister looks up at me and whispers, "Hey Lizzi, isn't Daddy part Jew?"

And I reply, "Yeah, that's why we never put up lights."

3 comments:

  1. It is indeed nowhere near Christmas, yet my mother had us put up the tree today (ours i fake). Something tells me she plotted all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that last part was cute!! We used to have a tradition like that, but we don't do it much anymore. Hoping we can do it this year :O Makes it feel more christmasy <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. xmas is definitely on my mind already. aww, we have this tradition too. but no one is half jew to make a joke like that work! that's cute.

    ReplyDelete