Sunday, June 22, 2008

If I was a...(#1)


Ok, so seeing as I'll be at camp for the next couple of days, I've decided to compile some posts to keep you readers entertained :]

Welcome the the first installment of If I was a...
I decided to do these posts as a type of reconciliation to myself because for all my life I've wanted to be a trauma nurse....or well at least since the second grade, and just this year I've started to have doubts on whether or not that was what I wanted to do.

So now I've decided to weigh my options in order to make some decisions about things. Today I'm going to discuss the pros and cons on if I was a Cartoonist/Artist.

Well, compared to most other careers it certainly would be one that I'd enjoy. The only problem would be the money.

I mean, come on. Ever heard the term 'Starving Artist'? It's so true I don't know if I should consider it a cliche or not.

The truth of the matter is, you can't live luxuriously on the salary of an artist unless you're really famous or popular.

However, if you're an artist it's not like you work for the money anyways. You work for the satisfaction that you made something, and that something was magnificent and great. The thought that your artwork might have brought a smile to someone's face, or changed someone's life.

Mainly, being an artist is a selfish job. Now, before you jump up and go HEY! Hear me out. If I chose that path I would be doing it to please me, and only me. If I ever had a family I wouldn't be able to support them without any fear of financial instability. It's the harsh truth. Unless you live in some perfect world, most artists don't have a consistent cash flow. One month you might make $2,000, but then for the next four months not sell a thing.

Also, it takes a while to get yourself established. Many people can admire art, but few actually go out and buy it. You can claim to be a fan of Picasso, but do you own any of his paintings? You may say you like the style of Selena Fenech, but do you own any of her prints?

See my point? People don't have the money to spend on art. To sell anything worth value you've got to mold yourself to the public. One moment abstract is in season, the next it's all about realism. Art is not for those who wish to make money. It is for those who enjoy living by their imagination.

Currently I'm not sure if that's what I want to do. Ah, well come by tomorrow to see the next career post.

No comments:

Post a Comment