Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What can I do with this?


(click to view larger :P)

For a while now I've been thinking about college and whatnot. My majors, the many different universities I want to apply to, scholarship opportunities and such.

From the time I was in second grade on up into mid 8th grade I wanted to be a Trauma Nurse. However since then I've had a change of heart.

As I got older, different stuff started to interest me, like art, design, philosophy, and theology.

In fact last year when making my high school plans with my counselor I seriously considered philosophy as my major in college, but now that I think about it, there isn't really a large job opening for people with philosophy majors.

It would be so much easier to major in philosophy if I was a trust fund kid or something, but I'm not. I come from a middle class family with four kids. My parents make good money, but they also have to put four kids through school and college.

So the question pops up: Should I be pragmatic, and choose a more open major, or should I be happy and pursue what I find interesting? I don't know. As much as I love art, I don't think I could ever major in it. I've met too many people with degrees in Fine Arts who had to get a job far away from the art industry for that career to ever interest me.

Political Science has for instance, always been a pragmatic college major choice for me because I could always double major or minor in philosophy, however if I choose to double major, am I just wasting time and money on the study?

I don't know. I still have about two or three more years before I have to make a definite decision.

1 comment: