Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Means and Ends

-Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law.

-Act in such a way that you always treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, never simply as a means, but always at the same time as an end.

-Act as though you were, through your maxims, a law-making member of a kingdom of ends.


And what are those you ask? Why it's the three significant teachings of the Categorical Imperative.

It gives the saying "the means justify the ends" almost zero weighing ability. If one must have a just end, they therefore must have a just mean.

The death penalty is not just because we are taking away life. While we are making a safer community as an end, it is not justified because the means involve taking away human life.

Today someone changed my opinions on how I thought. I wish this would happen more often. I'm tired of trying to find answers to justify my opinions only to win in the end-- and rewarded by being told that I am "right". I like being proven wrong believe it or not, as long as it makes sense and there is grounded proof and logic to why I'm wrong.

Oh to be older, and to be filled with wisdom. That is what I wish for.

No comments:

Post a Comment