Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Acrid Smoke


Just in case you can't tell, my lens isn't foggy. And the windows are crystal clear. My school was enveloped in smoke and ash today. It was a lot worse during the early hours of the morning because the fires were going on all night. A lot of my friends woke up to their cars coated in ash.

Again, I can't express how thankful I am that my family and I live where we do. The nearest fire to our house was 10 miles away, and our local firefighters and volunteers have worked really hard to keep things under control. My uncle is the chief firefighter a few towns over, so I definitely have a great appreciation for all the time and effort that goes into everything they do.

Hopefully we'll get rain sometime soon.

On the bright side, it was about 80 degrees today, as opposed to the usual 105.
A friend of mine snapped this picture. It's a mixture of the sunset and the smoke. It's unsettling how beautiful it is.

4 comments:

  1. When I was younger, my home was caught near forest fires. It was terribly frightening. I am glad you are safe. x Wishing you lots of water!

    (^.^) hope to hear from you - love
    amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wildfires always make gorgeous photos, it's depressing, but very true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 2nd picture is amazing! Glad to know that you and your family are okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That doesn't look pleasant. Never had ash all over my place but forest fire smoke does occasionally make the city cloudy.

    ReplyDelete