Monday, February 8, 2010

I know, I want

I hate it when people tell me that I don't know what I want.

I want to buy mint chocolate chip flavored lip gloss.

"Boys get distracted and turned off when you have ice cream flavored lip gloss. You don't know what you want, get the strawberry first and see how it turns out!"

I want to buy Ayn Rand books.

"No one even reads her anymore except those creepy kids at Barnes and Noble. Plus, you're just going to catch the attention of random old people. You don't know what you want, you should buy something lighter first."

I want this specific kind of guy.

"You can't know what you want in a guy. There are so many types that you haven't even met yet. You don't know what you want, why don't you try dating around first in order to see what all you're missing."

I want this haircut.

"You're not a hairdresser, why don't you listen to a professional. You don't know what you want, just try this haircut, and if you don't like it, your hair will grow back anyways."


I may be young, I may make mistakes, but they're mine to make. I know what I want, and I'm tired of people telling me that I don't know. I do know, in fact, I can make decisions on my own. Granted, they lack the wisdom that comes with age, how am I to acquire wisdom, empirical knowledge, and experience unless I do things for myself.

Also, I don't want to try over and over, searching for something that I like, or that works for me, just because what I want isn't what people think I need.

I make it a goal in life to get what I want, not what I need, that way if I die tomorrow, I die happy and content. Also, oddly it ends up working out to where what you want is what you need.

3 comments:

  1. "You're not a hairdresser, why don't you listen to a professional. You don't know what you want, just try this haircut, and if you don't like it, your hair will grow back anyways."

    Everytime I want to get a haircut, this is what I hear. I completely understand you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love [hate] it when people tell me that i'm misguided in wanting what i want. it's what I want! YOU know what you want at a time, and it's your decision. it might turn into a mistake later, but it should all be very much in your frame of reference first. BUT everyone won't share our exact perceptions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agreed. What you want is what you want, and people can't just kick that to the curb. And like you said, even if what we want does end up being a mistake later, it's our mistake to learn from!

    ReplyDelete