Friday, July 6, 2012

The Postcard Project

So.  I have 12 blank postcard size pieces of art paper.  And a lot of quasi-free time.  And a lot of repressed emotions that are just begging to be released in the form of art.  And I'm going into AP Studio Art withdrawals.  I miss working on a concentration. I miss-- deadlines. I know, I'm crazy.

So.  To remedy this I'm going to actively create art.

The idea for The Postcard Project came to me while I was walking my dog.  I had just gotten back my quality pieces for my AP portfolio in the mail, and while I was happy to have my artwork returned to me, I was a bit sad that I was finished with the first "structured" art thing I had ever done.  Before creating my portfolio I made art on a whim.  No rhyme or reason, no extended theme.  I was a mess.  With the start of summer I reverted back to my old ways of half-finished art projects/little easy crafts.  All of the, I guess you could say 'training' from working in the studio was lost.  I wanted to get back in my groove.

I resolved to start another 12 piece concentration.  Easy.

But.  Two problems popped up: 1. I can't create anything large scale because I have limited storage space & 2. The duration of this project cannot be extensive, because I have yet to get a ship date for basic training and I don't want to leave with the project unfinished.

This is where you guys come in.  Yes you, lovely, tolerant, blog readers/friends.

I am going to create 12 pieces of art, inspired by you, and then I will send it to you via post.  Since I am creating this art for you I am asking for a few points of inspiration.
  • Your favorite song.
  • 5 words you enjoy.
  • (optional) a photo of yourself.
My goal is to complete at least 2 postcards per week, and then when I'm finished with everything I'm going to mail them all at once.

Obviously I'm limited to 12 participants, so this will be on a first come/first served basis.  All you have to do is shoot me an email at bookish.spazz(at)gmail(dot)com with the above listed items as well as your postal address.  That's it.  And by the end of this process you will get a tiny piece of art made with oodles of love.

So. Are you in?

7/7 8:05 a.m. 8 spots currently open
7/7 12:16 p.m. 6 spots currently open

5 comments:

  1. *currently writing email*
    I miss art class, because it was structured and I had deadlines and it made me get things done.
    I have about ten-ish different paintings that are just laying around my room unfinished.

    hopefully this project inspires you and makes you feel good and stuff.

    :) hope everything's well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very very tempted, but I'm going to have to leave it for now. If I miss my chance, then I miss my chance. But it's a good idea to do this, and I hope you do get plenty of responses, and get plenty of things made :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome. Count me in. Oh, wait, email. That's right. I'll get on that in a moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent you an email! Sounds like a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I e-mailed you and you've already e-mailed me back so I think it's pretty obvious I wanted in. :)

    I understand completely the need for structure of a classroom to get artistic projects done. This past year, I found I missed having an art class. It also sort of sucked to watch two former classmates of mine win basically every local art competition and contest. Oh, well. I made my choice not to take the classes I needed online. Besides, the art teacher I loved dearly retired. The other one was, uh, not my favorite.

    Stay awesome.
    Stay inspired. <3

    ReplyDelete