Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rand, Money, boy in the green hoodie, all cont.

Recently I've bought a few Ayn Rand books because I thought she'd help me with my recent Debate topic. I only own three of her books though.... I didn't want to buy all of them only to return them or re-sell them because I didn't like them.

I discovered her last year, but only read two of her novels Atlas Shrugged, and The Fountainhead.

And by read, I mean skimmed, and watched the old black and white movies while I skimmed. Blasphemy, I know, but at least I didn't cliff note them. As a wise ginger once said: "The kind of person who reads cliff notes instead of the book is the kind of person who would rather listen to sex than have it."

Anyways, I'm currently re-reading The Fountainhead, not skimming, and so far I really like it. Howard Roark at times can be very difficult for me to understand because he never gives in to anything, which can be viewed as an admirable quality, but if I were to come across a man like Roark I would do everything in my power to make him cave.... which is why I would make a great villain in a novel. But her message in her book still stand true, even if Roark is impossible.

A lot of my friends are getting jobs, or at least applying for them. Even though I'm finally old enough to get a job, I'm going to wait till either April or May until I apply for anything.

I've been observing my friends, and most of them have had their grades drop considerably since getting a job. My friend put it best, "....it's either make money for gas and fun, or do my homework and be broke...." Skewed priorities much? I'm not saying this is an all around thing, or that kids can't hold down a job and still go to school, but I know that if I were to get a job I'd probably end up being one of those kids who couldn't handle both. Also, in most of the places that employ 15- 18 year olds it's mainly teens supervising teens, which means professionalism isn't every one's top priority and getting fired over petty things would be normal.

Waiting till summer just seems more pragmatic. Also, it opens up different opportunities for me to work in an environment of my choosing via. family connections. Till then I'm just going to focus all of my efforts on school and extracurriculars.

School has been mediocre lately. I finally understand Chemistry to the point of making A's, and that kid in the green sweater that I mentioned a while back who was really nice made a random appearance at my lunch table.

At first I thought that micro random conversation we had walking to class was just coincidental, but he's always popping up randomly. Our conversations are literally 30 sound bites, sometimes it's not even that long.

I tried to find out his name by looking in the year book, but nothing. Turns out he looks like 5 other guys at my school, all in different grades. Oh well.

Ooooh, before I forget, at my last debate meet I placed 1st in persuasive speaking, and 5th in LD debate.

I was really surprised that I did so well considering all the schools that were there, also it was pretty ironic that I placed higher in the event that I'm not too fond of.

1 comment:

  1. Eek, I'm not old enough to get a job yet. Hopefully it doesn't really conflict with school too much once it does happen D: But yeah, a summer job makes more sense. Congrats on the chem grade and debate placements as well! [:

    ReplyDelete