Friday, December 23, 2011

2 days till

I’m obsessed guys. I’m obsessed with making origami hearts out of dollar bills.
And thanks to the recent influx of cash from MY FIRST EVER PHOTO GIG I’ve been able to feed my habit. Let’s start at the beginning. Last Wednesday my yearbook adviser asked if I was going to be free over the weekend. I, being the lazy, awkward social pariah that I am said “No, not really,” with flippant shrug. It’s a good thing that I wasn't busy because she had already volunteered me to take pictures at the wedding of the daughter of a registrar at our school. When I met with Mrs. So n’ So she was a busy blur. She briefed me: I needed to take reception pictures at their venue from 2:30 to 4:30 and I would be paid $50.

I had to keep my eyes from jumping out of their sockets I was so excited. I asked if my sister could tag along to help and she agreed that it would be better with two photographers there. She bought the cards that we needed for our DSLR cameras and last Saturday I spent my afternoon acting like a professional, trying to capture intimate happy exchanges between the guests at the wedding. Since I am inwardly a creeper this was the perfect job for me. Also, there was probably around 200-300 guests there.

My principal was there and she was very impressed with my work ethic.

I was a bit stressed because there were people from my school there and I felt a bit like an outsider, but then I remembered that I was there to work, and not there to avoid socializing with people that I don’t really mesh well with. Once I got over myself I ended up having a lot of fun.
The bridal photographer seemed a little miffed that my sister and I were there and every now and then I would catch him glaring at me, but I got over that too. I was hired to take pictures of the guests, not the bride. I was NOT encroaching on his territory. I mean, he was probably being paid 10x what I was getting paid so I don’t really know why he had his panties in a twist.

I ended up spending a generous portion of my money on Christmas gifts for other people, but I like seeing people’s face’s light up when they open gifts, so I’m kind of glad that I’m back where I started: broke.

Well, not completely broke….



5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first photo gig! I would be delighted to be given that kind of opportunity but nobody has ever approached me. Now you can give me tricks of trade if I ever do!

    A few of my IRL friends are really awesome photographers and I've spent some nights refreshing Flickr to see if they posted something new. Okay, now I sound creepy.

    If you don't post again until then, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the little heart dollar bills. ever so cute. its a shame we dont have a smaller note, so i could make origami out of them...hehe....although to be honest, i suck at it. i can't even make a crane! :(

    well done on your first photo gig! sounds like it went really well. :)

    i agree, i always spend to much on everyone. i just love going out buying gifts, wrapping, and then giving them...lovelovelove it.

    ps, make some star wars snowflakes! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hearts do look pretty nice :) Congrats on getting some work too. Hopefully they'll recommend you to other people and you can make more monies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congrats on the gig :O

    Did you like how everything turned out? That's great that you got that kind of oppurtunity to hone your skillz and learn more about the craft in that kind of environment.

    Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats! try 100$ bills next

    ReplyDelete