Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dammit.

Guys. I miss Keesler.

Well, mainly all the friends I made there.

I miss my awesome roommate Camella.

I miss my wonderful weather friend Cres.

I miss my quasi British friend Ben.

I miss my CQ friend/musical soulmate Kameron.

I miss the entirety of Drum and Bugle corp.

And most of all, I miss my adorable guy friend Yates.

When I was outprocessing to leave the base I was kind of a mess. I was running things on a pretty tight schedule, and things ended up not falling into place. We had commander's call--- which caused my entire schedule to get moved back by an hour. I wasn't able to make it to the travel office to ship my bags, so I had a mini freak out trying to figure out how I was going to get my stuff there.

The student post office only took cash for shipping, which sucked because I DID NOT have enough cash to ship 3 bags, and I didn't want to pay a stupid ATM fee, so I ended up taking my bags to the UPS office. I was scrambling around trying to find someone with a car so that I could avoid paying for a cab--- My friend Camella didn't get off duty until 6, and most of the places closed at 6-- and pretty much all of my friends with cars had already graduated.

Then I remembered the guy I was late to curfew with, Yates.

I quickly called him up and used all the charm I could muster to get him to give me a ride. It didn't really take much to convince him to drive me somewhere so he could avoid studying for a little bit. For some reason whenever we hang out he always gets us lost. Without fail. But it was nice. I got to spend more time hanging out with him. We rode around listening to country music, the Lonely Island, and some obscene rap about genitals, and we passed a bunch of places that we hung out at, and there were even these two streets next to each other named after our home states.

 Seeing all of that--- I got a little nostalgic.

 I didn't realize how close I had gotten to him. He's one of the coolest guys I've had the privilege to be friends with. He's different than what I'm used to--- he's like a man's man. He's told me multiple times "I'm not pussy, I'm a Yates."  I mean, he's literally a cowboy.  He has a horse named Bob.  His parents named him after a John Wayne movie character.  He's the type of guy that wants to be on the front line of everything, charging through and doing things that most people are too lazy to do, but at the same time he can be laid-back and fun. I can honestly say that the quality of males that I have been associating with pale in comparison.

It wasn't until that moment that I realized that I was really going to miss all the people that I had met. I feel like I'm leaving little pieces of myself behind. I can only hope that one day our paths will cross again. Hell, we're all in the same military branch, so it's a strong possibility. Man. I know that I'm going to make new friends, but I also just want to hold all the friendships that I made at Keesler close to me. Yates told me that the military always takes your friends away, and that's one of the things that he doesn't like, and I didn't realize the magnitude of what he was trying to convey until now. I grew so close to these people in such a short amount of time due to the circumstance we're all in, so leaving them behind makes me feel a little melancholy.

So it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Better to have known them and miss them than to have never met any of them at all.

    And you know what, there's always Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's also one of the pluses of the military though. There is that camaraderie and you guys get close in such a short amount of time in a proper combat situation, in an actual warzone, you really try and help eachother out. Though this Yates guy does sound pretty cool and it'd be nice if you could keep in touch with him at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you made your plane?

    ReplyDelete